|Disclaimer: While it is the intention of the foremost members of this website to keep pages as mythologically accurate as possible, this site should not be taken fully as mythical, legendary or folkloric canon (let alone as a resource for any paper, report or journal). Cite pages at your own peril.|
- (pl) Succubi
The Succubus is a creature whose origins are first recorded in Medieval European mythology, legend and folklore.
In particular, the earliest references to its existence come from the famous Malleus Maleficarum (Hammer of the Witches or Witches' Hammer), a text published in 1486.
As human sexual predators were nearly unimaginable in olden times, Succubi were almost always blamed (rightly or wrongly) for sexual attacks on the community's men and boys, whether scoundrels or otherwise "moral" and "upstanding".
And despite the undoubted momentary physical pleasure of the experience, sexual encounters with Succubi actually carried with them a stigma of tremendous shame.
The name "Succubus" or "Succuba" itself comes from the Latin "succuba" meaning "whore/prostitute" or "concubine" (a combination of the Latin "sub" meaning "under", and "cubare" meaning "to lie", denoting a submissive sex partner or, at least, a sexual partner of the fairer gender).
The Succubus is the female counterpart of the male night demon, the Incubus.
Due to the fact that many of them are shapeshifters, the appearance of a Succubus is often varied. Some like to take a more human appearance, while others retain a fully demonic mien (horns, wings, tail, etc.). Some even combine the two natures.
Though, no matter how their appearance changes, a Succubus is always physically stunning. In fact, ugly Succubi are so rare, many believe they only take on ugly appearances to frighten and attack foes. Even while in their normal form, most Succubi are very beautiful.
And Succubi are highly fashionable. Often, they wear very luxurious fabrics; beautiful to look at, and pleasant to the touch. Likewise, their fashions are typically sexually provocative, hinting seductively at their perfect physiques. That is, when they decide to wear any clothes at all.
Succubus behavior is based primarily on its sexuality. Their nature is cunning, decadent and manipulative, and they are always on the prowl for potential male prospects. Not one of them is a virgin, celibate or monogamous. Though, each has her own approach.
Some are reclusive, disdaining social company, and preferring the most guarded secrecy until the mood suits them, to feed, or to engage in...other pursuits. Others prefer to interact with potential prey in more gregarious settings, like in parties, and at brothels (as sex workers or as patrons), to feel out the people to whom they feel the greatest attraction.
However, succubi have little respect for men. Aside from going out to rape them as they please, succubi often keep a harem of runaways or sex workers waiting at their lair; they keep house for, and entertain the manipulative succubus, and often put up with any change in mood, in exchange for just one more night of erotic pleasure.
Ironically, elder succubi are actually incapable of reproducing (some accounts even remark on the coldness of the succubus' vagina). The only means by which they may produce children is to sleep with a man, collect his semen, shapeshift into an incubus, and deposit the man's semen into a woman. The union of sperm and egg produces a child tainted by the creature's touch, a Cambion.
Alternately, a non-shapeshifting Incubus and Succubus work together; the Succubus mates with a human male, collects the semen, passes it on to a non-shapeshifting Incubus, who deposits it into a human female during copulation.
Moreover, while a homosexual or bisexual succubus is not unheard of, many succubi have a great dislike for other females (even sometimes other succubi). This often prevents them from even being friends, let alone lovers. Some simply find subjects of the same gender unappealing, and sexual intercourse with them unpleasant, while others cannot engage sexually with the same gender for fear of death.
Likewise, for some unknown reason, sexual relations and romantic relationships between incubus and succubus are nearly unheard of.
- Hypnotic Charm- the ability to channel hypnotic power through gestures and social interactions.
- Natural Tail- the ability to make use of a tail.
- Natural Weapons- the ability to make use of harmful body features.
- Natural Wings- the ability to make use of a set of wings.
- Peak Condition- the ability to make use of an anatomy with optimum function and/or aesthetic appeal.
- Sexual Perception- the ability to psychically detect sexual phenomena.
- Sexual Vampirism- the ability to psychically absorb libido for sustenance and/or power.
- Immortality- the ability to potentially live forever, if one continues to sustain oneself on sexual energy.
- Rapid Regeneration- the ability to heal from illness and injury to an extent beyond human norms.
- Superhuman Durability- the ability to resist physical injury beyond human norms.
- Superhuman Strength- the ability to exert physical force beyond human norms.
- Shapeshifting- the ability to alter physical appearance to assume a new form.
- Subliminal Sexuality- the ability to psychically impart sexual feelings (and/or sexual imagery), in others, toward oneself.